Flickr Widget

Saturday, February 14, 2015

Olivetti Underwood Studio 45

Several weeks ago, we won an Ebay auction for this Olivetti Underwood Studio 45 typewriter. We've been so preoccupied with real estate goings-on that we haven't ordered a new ribbon for it, but as soon as we do, it will be in the store.

To see if I could get some information about it, I searched my friend Ton's blog I dream lo-tech and was delighted to find out that it has a bit more of a pedigree than I expected. Seems it was a creation, like the well-known red Valentine, of famed Italian designer Ettore Sottsass.


Our Olivetti Underwood Studio 45 typewriter by Ettore Sottsass

Alternate view of Studio 45

Emblem signifying Olivetti's purchase of controlling interest in Underwood in 1959,
the merger being completed in 1963

Serial number, indicating this machine was made in 1969.

Print ad of Duke Ellington with Studio 45

The Sottsass Valentine, realeased on February 14, 1969

8 comments:

  1. Yaaaay, the Dana and Olivetti post on Valentine's Day! That Sottsass is a perfect fit for your mid2mod nest, happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may have to try to talk my SIL out of it. He plans to take it to the store, but I'd love to have it myself.

      Delete
    2. Funny how I seem to have turned a blind eye to "it will be in the store." (:

      Delete
    3. Alas, that's a pretty important part of the story. ;)

      Delete
  2. The beautiful typewriter is in pristine condition, it will be a wonderful conversation piece for your store! The Duke Ellington ad is marvelous, very cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The color is even prettier than in the photos. I love it! And the coolness factor of the Duke Ellington ad is off the charts. That suit!!!

      Delete
  3. Be sure to use a print-out of the Ellington ad behind the Studio in the store. It is a classy typewriter so should sell well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PS: Hope Duke Ellington wasn't looking for the cigarette holder on that thing!

    ReplyDelete