Flickr Widget

Friday, January 30, 2015

House-selling saga: Planning ahead

Having a house for sale is not for the faint of heart. First, there's the problem of keeping your house perfectly clean and presentable at a moment's notice.  With two young sons, my daughter and SIL solved that problem by staging the main house perfectly and then bunking with his parents while the house is on the market.

I, on the other hand, am living in my little house out back...which means I'm sweeping, mopping, vacuuming and dusting constantly, as well as turning on all the lights and refilling the candy bowl in the main house first thing every morning. I'm also leaving home constantly, sometimes for large chunks of time. For example, there were three showings scheduled yesterday, starting at 11 a.m. The last one was supposed to be from 3:30-4:30. I had been away from home almost all day, and my daughter needed to pick some things up after work, but when we got to the house at 5:00, people were still there. And they were still there till well after 6:00. That's fine when the house is vacant. Not so much when it's occupied.

We agreed to show the property with no advanced notice, meaning someone driving by the house could call the number on the sign and be walking through in a matter of minutes. That's good for selling, but it's not always so easy on the seller. I had finally settled in at 6:55 and was about to order take-out when I got a text. Another showing at 7:15.  These days I do laundry and take a shower after 10 p.m. I even have to schedule bathroom breaks around house showings.

But who am I to complain?  Now I have all the time in the world, while I'm sitting in the grocery store parking lot (my new home-away-from-home when there's a prospective buyer looking through my closets), to plan all the things I want to do to a new place.


My parking lot hang-out

And my stake-out down the street,
if I don't feel averse to being a bit of a creeper

Once a time-sucker, now a time-filler

4 comments:

  1. I'm sure it will sell shortly as it looks perfect. To bad it will never look as good with a new owner. The good news is your new place will have more space for new furniture and pottery! You mean you didn't bake cookies for the potential buyers? A common trick to lure buyers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure we'll bake cookies if we have an open house. For now we have a Cathrineholm bowl full of chocolate truffles on the counter.

      And, yes, I'm already thinking about how much new pottery I can buy...and what furniture I'm going to buy from my SIL. (He just brought me two Festivo candleholders from the store as a gift for making sure the main house looks good for showings!)

      Delete
  2. Oh not easy to do what you are doing. Such a beautiful home and nest, I think it won't be on the market for long. But showings into the evening, that is above and beyond. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had four showings today from 10 a.m. till 3:45 p.m., so I had to be gone most of the day. I"d love for the house to sell soon!!!

      Delete