Flickr Widget

Saturday, January 11, 2014

Fawcett Home by Frank Lloyd Wright

Original owners Randall "Buck" and Harriet Fawcett met Frank Lloyd Wright while taking an architecture course at Stanford University. In 1954, they commissioned Wright to design a home for them on 80 acres in Los Banos, California, and the home was completed in 1961.

It is a U-shaped structure with the living room at the base, looking onto a garden through a wall of windows and French doors. Each wing opens at a 120 degree angle, with a row of bedrooms on the north side and a kitchen and playroom on the south. It has a low-pitched roof, banded with a copper fascia and is built of cinderblock and mahogany. The concrete floor is scribed with equilateral triangles, and this motif is repeated in cut-out wood screens, light fixtures and the patterned fascia. The focal point of the family room is a 6-foot-high and 12-foot-wide fireplace.

The home has 6 bedrooms, 4.5 baths and is approximately 3700 square feet.

From sfgate.com
All images from homedsgn.com



















8 comments:

  1. Very beautiful house! Sure would be nice to be able to have a place like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was up for sale a few years ago for $2 or $3M, if I recall. One of us should have bought it then with all the spare cash we have lying around.

      Delete
  2. What an unusual floor plan, but not surprising for FLW.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was designed in FLW's later years. In fact, he didn't even live to see it completed. He was creative to the very end.

      Delete
  3. I think the phrase "died and gone to heaven" pretty much sums up the way I feel about this one Dana...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I feel too. That house AND 80 acres near San Francisco? What a place to live!

      Delete
  4. Oh my, Dana. I never thought I could like a triangle so much. It's a stunning home...You always showcase some great American homes. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm fascinated by the triangle motif too. Every time I look at the photos, I see another subtle example that I hadn't noticed before.

      Delete