Flickr Widget

Wednesday, September 11, 2013

A few minutes late to the party

Those of you who encouraged and stuck by me during my recent construction project will probably think my daughter, SIL and I have taken leave of our senses when I tell you that we've been out househunting.

Yes, that's right. Househunting. You're probably wondering why we'd do such a thing, less than six months after completing my little modernist nest, and there is a logical explanation. While my compact apartment is perfect for me, the main house is simply too small for the rest of the family. We knew going in that this might pose a problem, since 1200 square feet and only one bathroom is a fairly tight squeeze, even for a couple with two small children, so were prepared for this eventuality. They have given it their best effort, but they need more space. As a result, when we find a home that's perfect for all of us, we'll be moving.

A few days ago, we thought we had found just the place...and a steal at $400K. It's a 3200 square foot 4 bedroom/3 bath main house with lots of glass, a gorgeous rock fireplace and beautiful built-ins...with a 1000 square foot 1 bedroom/1 bath guest house, which is attached by an enclosed walkway. The guest house has a full kitchen, lots of great built-ins of its own, a view of the pool and a private entrance. Buying this house would put me back into a space almost as large as our current main house and would give the rest of the family almost three times as much space.

We drove to a neighboring suburb to look at it and were so impressed that we were ready to make an offer on the spot. We called the listing agent to see if she could meet us for a tour of the home, only to find out that she had received an offer from a prospective buyer only moments before.

Whooooooooooooooooooooosssssssssssssshhhhhh. That's the sound of the wind being taken out of our sails.

Here are just a few photos of what we very likely missed out on, unless the seller and buyer can't come to an agreement. (I have noticed that the listing still doesn't mention anything about the property being under contract, so maybe all hope isn't lost.) I didn't include many interior shots, since the current owner has filled this amazing contemporary home with Queen Anne furniture, put Victorian stained glass in some of the windows and installed an ornate leaded glass front door...but you'll get the idea.


Front of main house

Back of main house

Pool view of guest house (with main house on the left)

Guest house living room

The only real downside to the house is that it is on a street called Buttermilk Drive. My daughter and I have a thing about living on a street with a goofy name, but we both agreed we'd have to bite the bullet if we could buy this house.

Still, it's a big city with lots of houses for sale and new listings popping up every day. (You'd be surprised how many have guest houses!), so barring news that the prospective buyer didn't qualify, the search continues! 

25 comments:

  1. Dana, this house is so wonderful...
    I´m on your side, you MUST get it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need to check back with the real estate agent...but we've been looking at more houses since then.

      Delete
  2. So like...if you get it...uhm...can I move in too? ::sigh:: That pool...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pool is pretty great, isn't it? I could definitely picture myself living poolside.

      Delete
  3. Oh I laughed and laughed then I saw the guest house pic! ..........I get it, wall unit, glass, pool and room for international guest!
    I will you all well on your new house hunt! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fingers are crossed for you, but goodness that was a gorgeous house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it a sweetheart? But maybe there's a better one with a little bit larger back yard just around the corner. Who knows?

      Delete
  5. OMG!! What a great home. I'm so excited for you all. Hope the Barbie dream home comes to you soon!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love change, so the idea of looking for another home sounds like fun. My daughter and I will hunt till the perfect Barbie dream home pops up for sale!

      Delete
  6. Whoa... moving so soon! I was amused more than anything, especially after your saga of building your nest. But I really appreciate the detachment, especially for the reasons you mention. And hey, it's another exciting opportunity to imagine and create a modernist home.

    That house is just perfect (for one, high ceiling is always good), sorry to hear that the wind was taken out of your sails! But who knows.

    All best in your search, and selfish me says yay, another mid2mod design saga to follow.
    You should have your own reality show. ( :

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm rarely married to any house or object, and especially in this case, since we discussed the possibility that the house might be too small for them. The only way we had of finding out was to build the apartment and let them live there for a while.

      If this one doesn't turn out, and we probably were too late, something else will become available. Things really do have a way of turning out the way they're supposed to, I've found.

      Delete
  7. Can you put a back up offer in? That place is spectacular.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll probably call and see where things stand. A back up offer is a possibility.

      Delete
  8. Well, that just gives you an opportunity to do another modernist nest! Come check out St. Louis, Dana. They're practically giving homes away up here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you think a comparable home would cost in StL?

      Delete
  9. What a gorgeous house, Dana, I'm crossing my fingers!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we found it too late, I'm sure we can find another one as nice if we look hard enough. I've been amazed at the number of homes listed currently have guest houses. There's one just a couple of blocks from where we live.

      Delete
  10. Wow! It's beautiful! I'm amazed that you can get a house like that for $400K. In Toronto that house would easily be over a million! You'll find something. Home is where you make it after all. Looking forward to seeing what you do with a new space.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Real estate is still reasonably priced here, but I was surprised that this one wasn't closer to $500K.

      Delete
  11. You track down that buyer and threaten them to within an inch of their lives......and then beg and cry....that house is AMAZING! So hope it works out for you guys. And I'd also like to say, as a new reader, that I am so impressed that you are living with your adult children. Very cool. I wish I saw more of that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Melissa! So happy to have you as a new reader.

      As beautiful as the house is, it's not perfect. We'd have to start right away by getting rid of all the fru-fru stained glass windows and leaded glass door, so maybe there's another one waiting for us out there that is even better.

      I think we'll see more and more multigenerational living in the future. It was such a common thing a few decades ago, and people seem to be moving back in that direction. I got so many comments about that when people read the Houzz article. (If you haven't seen it, there's a tab above that will take you there.)

      Delete
  12. Sometimes I feel like a lunatic when I remodel the things I have already remodeled. You just made me feel better. It is what it is. We try, and then when it doesn't work out, we come up with a new plan. Someone is going to dig your modernist nest and all the press will work wonders in the price tag. Real estate is high here right now. Ever think of selling your place while the market is hot and then renting while it cools down? I know that this is a bit risky but it has occurred to me as our house is worth way more than it should be right now and I need to re-do the kitchen and correct a few things. Maybe just walk away as an option. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had discussed the fact that the house would be cramped and they could probably only stay there five years, at most. You're absolutely right that it is what it is, and I don't feel bad about it at all.

      I do think the apartment will have a considerable affect on the price we can get, because the main house is very small, but even if the apartment wasn't used for an older relative, this would give someone a home office and workout room or a place for an older teenager or an au pair to live or just a nice guesthouse.

      Selling and then renting till we find the perfect place is a very distinct possibility, since it would be so much better to have cash in hand rather than make the contract contingent on selling our house.

      Delete