Flickr Widget

Saturday, December 8, 2012

Mid century lamps...the gift that keeps on giving

My SIL walked in a few nights ago bearing gifts for my daughter and me. He had been to an estate sale and had found lamps he thought we'd love...and we did.

He said, "When I saw these, I realized how seldom I buy gifts for the two of you, just because." I've been saying for five years that he's a keeper, and it looks like I was right! Every time we look at our lamps, we'll remember his sweet gesture.

My daughter has a thing for small metal lamps with skinny drum shades that straddle the Art Deco and MCM eras, so you can imagine how delighted she was with these little gems. They're about 15" high with textured cream-colored shades and a Lucite ball on the metal base.


Small modern lamps with drum shades and lucite/metal bases


He chose mine based on my love of the angular base on one of the lamps designed by Otto and Ridi Kolb, as well as the curved necks on many of Gino Sarfatti's lamps. Mine isn't a copy of any of their designs, but it definitely has a similar vibe. While my daughter's lamps are in great condition, the shade on mine needs to be rubbed lightly with steel wool and then primed and painted. I'm going to leave the legs black and paint the shade a pale glossy cream.


Mid-century desk lamp, reminiscent of Kolb lamps

Otto and Ridi Kolb lamp
liveauctioneers.com

I'm headed to Lowe's to pick up a few supplies so I can give my wonderful new lamp a makeover soon, and I'll be sure to share it with you when it's done.

15 comments:

  1. Beautiful lamps, he's definitely a keeper! I'm looking forward to seeing yours after you've worked your magic on it. Today, lamps are in focus here too, I'm going lampshade hunting. I need a shade for my red ceramic lamp. Tricky business... Wish you a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll post a photo of your red lamp when you find just the perfect lampshade. I'd love to see it.

      Delete
  2. I really like all three of your new/old lamps Dana, and what a sweetie your son-in-law is for buying them for you guys just because. You know, forget Christmas, birthdays, etc - just because presents are the best! I'm looking forward to seeing yours transformed although it looks pretty good in your pic as is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right that the unexpected gifts are somehow a little more special. Buying a surprise gift for your wife is sweet, but it was especially thoughtful for him to pick up something for me. I don't imagine many guys do that for their mothers-in-law.

      My lamp looks better in the photo than in real life, because of the flash, I suspect. The base is in good condition, but the black paint has that chalky haze that comes from age, and the shade is pretty discolored in places. Soon it will have its new coat of paint and look like an old movie star with a good facelift. :)

      Delete
  3. A SIL who runs a retro furniture store. You must have been VERY VERY good in a previous life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure vintage modern was on his radar till my daughter started dragging him to estate sales when they were dating. Then I bought a house built in 1950. Later, they got married and bought a house built in the 50s too...and the rest is history. Now his knowledge of all things mid-century puts me to shame.

      I'm not sure I was so good in a previous life...LOL In fact, there may have been a tiny bit of subconscious (OK, intentional) grooming on my part going on to encourage his love of the style, but he gets all the credit for the store. That said, I definitely feel lucky to be around so much gorgeous stuff!

      Delete
  4. WOW WOW WOW!! I would be thanking my lucky stars for those lamps. They are wondrous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We were definitely doing the happy dance when he gave them to us! :)

      Delete
  5. Great lamps! Particularly like the Lucite Ball feature on the pair.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the Lucite balls are really great too, and they're in amazingly good condition...no interior crazing and cracking like it sometimes gets. The shades are perfect too. Someone really took good care of them.

      Delete
  6. What a wonderful SIL! Great lamps, I am a sucker for MCM lamps. I can't keep any more, but I still pick them for resale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is it about MCM lamps that make them so irresistible? We're lamp- and chair-heavy too, but we just can't say no.

      Delete
  7. Frankly Dana, you deserve a nice lamp! So get cracking on the Reno! ...........they both have been thoughtfully chosen, so big cheer for Mr Mid2Mod!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yesterday I devoted my spray painting time to my mailbox and a ramp for the grandsons' toy trucks...blue on one side and green on the other, by special request, since they wanted different colors. I'm going to try to get started on my lamp today.

      Delete
  8. I found my way to your blog via an image search. I'm looking for information on the lamps your son in law bought your daughter. I have a slightly taller version with the same lucite ball. I cannot find any information on them. Have you learned anything about them. Thank you for your time.

    ReplyDelete