Flickr Widget

Monday, November 12, 2012

Glass therapy

Glass has a very calming, almost hypnotic, effect on me.  Perhaps it's the texture. Or the fluid lines. Maybe it's the heft when I hold it in my hand, which is often surprising, considering the fragility of the object. Whatever the reason, glass is magical to me, and I'm in a glass mood today. Here are some pieces that make me take a deep breath and relax.


Gul vases by Otto Brauer for Holmegaard
retroware.wordpress.com

Tapio Wirkkala Kantarelli vase
artartworks.com

Decanter by Bertil Vallien for Kosta
antiquehelper.com

Bowl by Timo Sarpaneva
jacksons.se

Kaleidescope vase by Tapio Wirkkala
modernity.se

Tapio Wirkkala satinated Lichen bowl
antiquehelper.com

Midnight  vase by Vicke Lindstrand for Kosta
retropolitan.bigcartel.com

Coquille bowl by Paul Kedelv for Flygsfors, in our store

Vase by Bertil Vallien for Kosta
trocadero.com

Vases by Vicke Lindstrand for Kosta
modernistglass.com

Tapio Wirkkala Kugelvase collection
curatedobject.us

13 comments:

  1. Ahhhhhh I needed that post, been a hectic day and glass is very still!
    Your right, it's lovely to reflect upon!
    I'm not a big believer in religion etc but this world has many wondrous natural materials for us to work with! Who or whatever thought of that has my vote!
    Wood, clay, glass, twine!!!!!!
    Converts we are! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad this moment of reflection gave you a peaceful moment in a hectic day.

      Delete
  2. Zzzzzzz Now I need to check out the Dale Chihuly glass exhibit at the Va. Museum of Fine Arts here in Richmond.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's a Chihuly exhibit here too, at the Dallas Arboretum. I haven't been yet, but I plan to go to the night show. Can you imagine his sculptures beautifully illuminated in that setting?

      Delete
  3. I agree, glass has a meditative effect, especially when in graceful sculptural forms like the pics you posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting, isn't it...since the idea of broken glass conjures one of the most jarring images.

      Delete
  4. Wouldn't really class ourselves as glass fans, but the Holmegaard pieces are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few Gul vases would be just the ticket with your beautiful chairs.

      Delete
  5. Stunning! My mom loved to decorate with glass - bottles, vases, things I wasn't quite sure what they were. Am more of a knick knack gal myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always loved the stories you've told about your mom. Now I know why. She and I were cut from the same cloth. :)

      Delete
  6. Oh still my beating heart. You know how I feel about glass. I love it all. I was taking a little breaky from my big project this week. Working on house #2 and checking out your blog for posts on Cliff May.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your posts about the home tour are wonderful. So much inspiration, so little time and money...

      Delete
  7. Wow, those are just gorgeous! Inspired by this, I had to do a piece on glass myself, head on over and have a look here: http://stuffthatmakesmyheartbeatfaster.blogspot.no/2012/11/glass-gorgeous-glass.html
    LOVE your blog, very inspirational!
    All the best, Tove

    ReplyDelete