Flickr Widget

Thursday, October 25, 2012

Mid2Mod featured on Rapson-Inc. blog

Yesterday an interview with my SIL was featured in a post by Caroline Engel on the Rapson-Inc. blog. Enjoy!


Retailer Spotlight: Mid2Mod

Not too long ago, a trio of chairs from the Rapson Greenbelt Line made the journey from Minneapolis down to the Deep Ellum neighborhood of Dallas, Texas. Mid2Mod is a relatively recent addition to the scene there, specializing in great vintage furniture, and also the best new designs for the home. Joe Eggleston, pictured below, owns the shop with his wife, Jennifer, and his mother-in-law, Dana, keeps their blog fresh with a bottomless pool of all things mid-century, featuring beautiful photos and articles about the 'greats' and the equally great lesser-known designers from then and now. Dana recently published a lovely article on the watercolors of Ralph Rapson (Travel watercolorsOctober 18). The detail and life in his sketches never cease to amaze me. I want to thank Joe and Dana for taking time out of their days for this interview. It is always so interesting to hear the personal stories behind people's businesses and passions, so thanks again.

  

Tell me about Mid2Mod's beginnings. When and how did you get your start in the mid-century modern furniture retail business?
My wife Jennifer, my mother-in-law Dana, and I opened a mid-century booth at an antique mall in early 2010, which turned out to be a time-consuming hobby rather than a profitable business, so when our lease was up in November, we had a huge yard sale and got rid of our inventory. After three grueling days of selling, I looked at my pregnant wife and my exhausted mother-in-law and said, "Be honest. Aren't you going to miss selling mid-century furniture?" At first they thought I was joking, but that very night we started tossing around plans to have a store, and four months later, I quit my job as a data analyst and opened Mid2Mod. What started as a vintage store has grown to include exceptional new furniture too, such as the Rapson-Inc line. One of our goals is to help customers combine the two in their homes to create a unique personal space.

 

Deep Ellum sounds like a lively artistic neighborhood, and a perfect place to open Mid2Mod. What is it you like most about the area?
What I like most about Deep Ellum is its eclectic nature. There are all types of stores, restaurants and music venues here, and everyone is welcome. I also love the rich history of the neighborhood. It was established as an industrial district in the 1800s and was home to a cotton gin and a Ford automobile plant, but its real claim to fame is its importance as a jazz and blues scene in the 1920s, hosting the likes of Blind Lemon Jefferson, Leadbelly Ledbetter and Bessie Smith.

In your opinion, what is the most interesting mid-century piece to pass through Mid2Mod's doors?
My favorite piece was a George Nelson Comprehensive Storage System (CSS) wall unit, but Dana would probably say her favorite was an orange daybed by Richard Schultz for Knoll. She was trying to talk herself into buying it, but a customer got there first. She still grieves the loss.

Who is your favorite 20th century designer and why?
Naturally, Ralph Rapson is one of my favorites, which is why I decided to start carrying the line in my store. Another favorite is Poul Kjærholm. I love the simplicity of his design, and the matte finish he used on steel makes his pieces really stand out.


Finally, what do you like about the Rapson-Inc line?
Again, I come back to the idea that nothing is more elegant than simplicity. What could be more uncomplicated and beautiful than the curves of a Ralph Rapson chair? I like that the line stays true to its 70-year-old roots, yet has evolved to meet today’s needs. But, most of all, I love that Rapson designs combine a combination comfort level/coolness factor that appeals to everyone from 18 to 80.




Caroline Engel for Rapson-Inc. 

15 comments:

  1. Nice feature for dear SIL and yourself too. I like the line about time-consuming hobbies. I can relate. And finally, I am truly sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we finally realized that we were making money for the antique mall but just making work for ourselves, we decided to open the store, and we've never regretted it for a minute. And thanks for your condolences on the loss of the daybed. I'll never get over thinking about what might have been...if only I had taken a distribution from my IRA a couple of days sooner!!! ;)

      Delete
  2. That's a great interview, a path where a passion is followed! I like the sound of that.......I too am sorry for the one that got away :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm proud of my SIL for following his passion. Not many people are willing to take that big a risk. I know I wouldn't have given up the security of my monthly paycheck to open a store when I was his age.

      I have to say that my SIL softened the blow of losing that daybed by selling me the turquoise one recently at an unbelievably low price! :)

      Delete
  3. If there's another one out there (the Knoll daybed your s.i.l. refers to) I'm sure you guys will be the ones to find it. Great article Dana and a lot to swoon over in those pics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If he ever finds another daybed like that one, I won't hesitate like I did last time, that's for sure!

      Delete
  4. What a fantastic article. And the store looks fabulous in the photos! Love the pale blue couch on the right of the 2nd photograph. Such beautiful pieces.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sofa is a beautiful blue and green tweedy one by Edward Wormley for Dunbar. It really is something special!

      Delete
  5. Great article Dana. The store looks incredible!
    I too parted with my daybed recently. Mine needed some TLC and I intended to do it but we moved and I had no room to store it. It went to a very good home though. Do you have visitation rights?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No visitation rights...It's best I don't know its whereabouts. I might be tempted to kidnap it! :)

      Delete
  6. If I lived in the area I would haunt your store regularly! People ask all the time how I turn up with such cool stuff and the key is to find a buyer who has good taste and good connections and return often. I bet you have a whole raft of happy return shoppers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We may just have to open our first branch in your area! ;)

      Delete
    2. NO! Open the first branch in my area. I travel a bit on business and am waiting for the next trip that I can route through Dallas. Not kidding. Maybe I could be a franchisee ... out here I don't think there are ANY deals to be had. They didn't talk about in the article how he scouts around and finds all that stuff. That is what I would like to hear more about.

      Delete
  7. This is a great interview, Dana, thanks for sharing it with us! Opening Mid2Mod was an inspired move, and Joe really had the boldness and vision (with the help of wife and MIL) to see it through.

    The orange daybed episode got some attention there. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think I've whined about the orange daybed till I've really built up some sympathy. :)

      Delete