Flickr Widget

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

But it's not winter yet...

I love bird feeders, and I've found a craftsman from St. Louis, Missouri, who creates some exceptional ones. His name is Joe Papendick, and he sells his magnificent work on Etsy. Some of his feeders are sleek and modern, while others are amazingly sculptural and look like fine art for the backyard of your mid-century home.

You may be thinking, "But birds only need to be fed in the winter." Not true. According to the National Audubon Society, while the obvious time to feed is during the winter when natural food supplies are low, over 100 North American species supplement their diets with birdseed, suet, fruit and nectar by visiting feeders during the spring and fall migrations, and also during summer while nesting. Keeping a feeder in your yard can help the birds and make for great birdwatching.

Papendick's work has been featured on HGTV, as well as in Martha Stewart Living and The Week magazine. He has even designed custom birdfeeders for The Grateful Dead! Papendick is also a talented painter, and you can see some of his work in an Apartment Therapy House Tour.

Feast your eyes on some of the most beautiful bird feeders around. Wouldn't you love seeing one of these each day when you looked out your window?

Cubist series in orange
etsy.com - joepapendick
Charm in yellow
etsy.com - joepapendick
Home in oregano
etsy.com - joepapendick
Plus in red
etsy.com - joepapendick
Duo in white
etsy.com - joepapendick
Build series
etsy.com - joepapendick
Sculptural series
etsy.com - joepapendick
Sculptural series
etsy.com - joepapendick
Sculptural series
joepapendick.wordpress.com

12 comments:

  1. WOW! Wish I was a bird, I would happily feast in the yellow one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Apparently that's one of his most popular styles, since it seems to be the one featured most in publications. I really like it too, but then I love the Duo and the Cubist and the Build...and of course the sculptural ones. They're all great.

      Delete
  2. I never knew bird feeders could look so stylish. The orange cubist one is the standout for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For some reason, people who make items for the garden often think they're supposed to be whimsical or, even worse, just plain "cute." These don't even give a nod in the direction of "cute." They're strong and sleek and highly functional, which adds up to a lot of style, as you said.

      Delete
  3. How very cool! I am going over to his etsy shop today and see what I can find. Thanks for sharing. I feed the birds year round - they are especially liking the extra feed this summer as there is nothing growing due to the drought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you buy something, let us know what you chose! I'm really leaning in the direction of a Duo. So many choices! I want one of each!

      Delete
  4. Yes.
    I've resisted buying a bird feeder because they usually look so twee and country (in a twiggy way) Joe's are beautiful. The orange is my favourite Dana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kylie, that's exactly how I usually feel about bird feeders and bird houses in general, so I was thrilled when I found these. Nothing cute and corny about these! :)

      Delete
  5. I adore the round yellow one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that one is adorable too! I can imagine it at the Casablanca.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. I agree that the sculptural ones are stunning! I'd love to have one of those.

      Delete