Flickr Widget

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Mommy's little paper doll

I was researching the introduction of the popular Betsy McCall paper doll series in the May 1951 issue of McCall's magazine, and I made an interesting discovery. My mother and grandmother must have been somewhat obsessed with both the series and the young model who inspired the paper dolls.


McCall's magazine - May, 1951
tpettit.best.vwh.net

The four-year-old cover girl was named Peggy McGregor. The minute I saw that photo of her, I recognized her haircut. Until my grandmother took me out for an impromptu makeover, I had long, curly hair down to my waist. When she and her hairdresser friend were finished with me, I had a really bad Peggy/Betsy hairdo.

Then I started looking at old images of Betsy McCall paper dolls, and I realized that much of my childhood wardrobe was based on her clothes. My mother was an expert seamstress, so I'm sure she rushed right out to buy the corresponding McCall's patterns so she could dress me like her own little Betsy.

See the cute little blue number with a white collar and red piping? Yep, I had that dress...same color. The only variation was that my mom made the sleeves like the red and blue dress...with banded puffed sleeves instead of ruffles.


Betsy McCall - September 1951
squidoo.com

In January of 1952, my mother must have thought she had an idea for the most beautiful Easter dress ever made. Instead it turned out to be the most insidious instrument of torture I was ever forced to wear. It was like the little navy and white dress below. Mine was made of brown organdy with a white organdy apron. I still remember how itchy that dress was and how I begged not to have to wear it.


Betsy McCall - January 1952
tpettit.best.vwh.net

Somewhere there's a photo of me in the little blue and white dress with the appliqued fish and the bias trim on the skirt that was in Betsy's Easter edition. If I'm not mistaken, the picture is of me a few hours before my birthday party in June of 1952, and my hair is still up in pincurls in preparation for the party.


McCall's magazine - April 1952
nopatternrequired.com

Then there was the red and white striped flannel nightgown for Christmas of 1952. Identical, right down to the yoke, ruffles and lace.


McCall's magazine - December 1952
tpettit.best.vwh.net

Betsy McCall paper dolls were such a big hit that Betsy McCall dolls and other toys, books, coloring books, children's dinnerware and cookie cutters were also made available and are now considered collectible. It's nice to know that our family photo albums preserve a little of that history.

10 comments:

  1. That story is priceless! Dana, I'm sure your pleased your mum put you in a complete outfit, not just the one side, we need more pictures, if you have any? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to try to find some old photos and scan them, but the big box of family photos is up on a shelf where I can't reach it. The next time my SIL is here, I'll try to remember to ask him to get it down.

      Delete
  2. I have always loved Betsy McCall, and I love this post!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember how I looked forward to the new issues of McCall's so I could see the new Betsy. :)

      Delete
  3. I remembered a similar magazine we had in Greece while I was a child... you took me so many years back... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it interesting how something so seemingly insignificant can make a lifelong impression on us?

      Delete
  4. That is too funny that you remember your dresses and how you felt in them. Something to consider as I dress my daughter in vintage a lot! She rarely complains about anything though, unless it's an itchy wool sweater. But hey, she's 4- as she gets older I expect to hear a lot more! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother was such a wonderful seamstress that I remember many of the dresses she made for me over the years. I hear people talk about being embarrassed to wear homemade clothing, but I loved my mother's creations. They made a real impression on me, even as a child. Most were as comfortable as they were pretty, but I had a real thing about itchy clothing and still do. Nothing in my life has ever come close to the discomfort of that organdy Easter dress! My mother even made my prom dress, and it was so pretty that my friends asked to borrow it when they needed formals for other things. I really need to get out old photos and do a post about my mother's sewing.

      Delete
  5. The model for Betsy McCall was in my class in Westfield NJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so interesting! I wonder if she was a sweet kid or if all that attention went to her head.

      Delete