Flickr Widget

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Moved to the store or to a new home

Over the past two weeks, we've brought in so much new merchandise and have sold so many pieces that it's been difficult for me to keep up with what I've shown you in the warehouse that has been subsequently moved to the store and what's sold before I posted about it. I guess that's a nice problem to have.

The 1930s German hi-fi by Kuba was an exceptionally beautiful piece. Part of its charm is that it had tubes, so it wouldn't start to play instantly. I had forgotten all about having to wait for radios to "warm up" when I was a kid, and it brought back all kinds of good memories about listening to music at my grandparents' house.


German Kuba hi-fi


This gorgeous brass and tile table is a sleek Italian number that started out in the warehouse, got treated to a nice cleanup and is now in the store, sitting in front of two orange Adrian Pearsall chairs.



Italian tile table

Two of these delightfully oversized saucer chairs went to a new home before I even knew we had them. My SIL sent me a picture of them to add to the "What's Sold" section of the website, and I was blown away by them!



Large saucer chair

The blade desk has been cleaned up, and the chair has been given a new cushion, so they're in the store and ready to go.



Lucite blade desk and cantilever chair

13 comments:

  1. I have an old tube radio, I think it's what I would the world's first boom box because you can hook it to a battery, I don't have the battery. I've plugged it in and have been waiting for it to warm up, it's been a few weeks now, how long does it take?! ;)
    Regardless, it looks pretty cool, but I was hoping I could get it to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you could find some radio hobbyist who could get it working for you. How cool would that be?

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous and more gorgeous. Love the stereo. My dad had a custom made stereo when we were stationed in Japan. It was that warm, honey color of 50s furniture, took up an entire wall of the average ranch house and went all over the country with us. It's long gone now but boy do I wish I had even a piece of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't even begin to imagine how fantastic a stereo that gigantic would be. If we knew then what we know now, there are so many things of our parents we would have kept.

      Delete
  3. Great pieces as always. The German Kuba is something. Yeah, I forgot about waiting. I do have a Motorola radio that needs to warm up; at first, I thought it was defective. I guess we're used to speed nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's interesting how quickly we can become accustomed to technology. I how exciting it was when solid state electronic devices replaced vacuum tubes in the 60s, but now we can hardly imagine a time when TVs and radios didn't come on immediately.

      Delete
  4. Ohhh man that saucer chair is just AWESOME. I can only wish to stumble across something like at some point in life.
    The Kuba is rather lovely!
    The tile table is totally my style.
    The lucite table and chair would make a cute vanity area.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just sick that I didn't get to see the orange chairs before they sold!

      Delete
  5. I definetely remember having to turn the tv on at least 5-10 minutes before being able to watch! Certainly makes you wonder where we'll be in another 50 years? Not that I need to worry that far in the future :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember how the tubes kinda hummed while they warmed up.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. It was even more beautiful in person than the photo could show. I know it must be a real focal point in the home of the couple who bought it.

      Delete
  7. I know your post is old but any chance you have gotten in more of that lucite desk chair?

    ReplyDelete