Flickr Widget

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Goodbye, Salt 'n' Pepper

Our blogger friend Mick came up with her name, and she quickly won hearts at the store and on the blog. A real grande dame of a sofa, she was manufactured in 1957 by the Valentine Seaver division of Kroehler and looked a fraction of her age.

She was a one-owner old gal, and we figure she must have been pampered, because she had almost no signs of wear and tear. We were all tempted to adopt her, but a customer fell in love with her and swept her away last weekend. We bid her a fond farewell and hope she will be happy in her new home.




In case you aren't familiar with Valentine Seaver, it was a furniture company on Chicago's northwest side that was acquired by the Kroehler Manufacturing Company in 1927, when Peter Edward Kroehler decided that he wanted to enter the high-end furniture market. The division maintained its own logo and ads. Interestingly, many of the mid-century ads featured a black toy poodle...not the breed, but a real plush toy.



ebay.com - leix38
ebay.com - americanartarchives
ebay.com - americanartarchives

8 comments:

  1. I hope Salt "n" Pepper enjoys their new home.
    The toy poodle is quite cute... the plush one.
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kinda makes you wonder what the story is behind the poodle. Did an ad exec like Don Draper think it up, or did someone from the company want it included as a secret "I love you" message to his granddaughter? Or girlfriend, if Mad Men is any indication...

      Delete
  2. I love the 4 pieces sectionals and I'm sure the quality of all these pieces are great! The reason you still see these pieces is just because of the superior construction and materials.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I wonder how many of today's sofas will be around in 55 years. Things are built to be disposable today...fuel for the giant consumerism machine.

      Delete
  3. *Goes into Mourning* One day when I go to recover my Grandmothers Davenport and matching chair, I want it to be in that like fabric!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured you'd be as sad as I am. But she will forever be known by the name you gave her.

      Delete
  4. OK, that yellow sofa in the first advertisement ... WOWSERS! Really enjoy these posts you put together which not only educate but provide the requisite eye-candy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you imagine what an eye-catcher that yellow one was when brand new? I'm so glad you enjoy my posts. I certainly enjoy yours.

      Delete