Flickr Widget

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

In the store: Mid and mod

When we chose the name Mid2Mod, we knew we mainly wanted to be mid-century dealers, but we also knew we would find some pieces from the 70s, 80s and even the 90s that were too good to pass up. Lately we've found items in both categories that are noteworthy.

This mid-century sofa is a beauty. The front edge of the seat and the back are not straight. Instead, they have an angular design that can be seen clearly from the back view. I also love the flared arm with a crisscrossed fabric look and the back button details, as well as the large piping.

Back view of angled design
Arm and back button detail

We had this Henredon dining furniture pegged as late 1980s or early 1990s, but I found a similar set at an auction house listed as a mid-70s set. Whichever is true, it's old enough to make the vintage cut, even though it's not a mid-century design. The combination of high gloss cherry and black lacquer with cane makes such a dramatic design statement, though, that we couldn't pass it up.



Update: 1/11, 5:05 p.m.  My SIL just called to tell me the green sofa sold today, so I'm off to remove it from the website. Another piece out the door almost before I could post about it!

14 comments:

  1. Oh yeah...I'm lovin' me some pale green couchy goodness. Seeing just the first picture I thought it was all saggin' in the middle and was wondering why you was sellin' this broken down saggy sofa in the shop. Then when I scrolled down...was it angels that I heard singing? I'm so amazed at how a tiny detail like that subtle angling of the outermost seating can just turn my crank. I envy the next owner of this fine piece of seating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, heaven forbid that this grand lady should look saggy. That lying photo had to go! LOL

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I have a feeling this one may be on next year's lookback at the ones that got away. I wouldn't mind having it in my home, except it would necessitate a complete decor change.

      Delete
  3. I certainly would love to have that sofa in our store! It's a beauty. Henredon has always made quality furniture but I think even they have moved production outside the US. So sad that almost all newer furniture manufacturing has long since left the country..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's sad that the days of quality production of almost anything on American soil is over.

      Delete
  4. Dana,
    Love that couch! And I'm looking forward to meeting you and SIL when I come to the Dallas/Ft. Worth area in the next few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That will be great! Joe told me about the Larsen chairs. I'm really excited about them.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I agree that it's pretty swoonworthy, as are all the pieces I see on your blog!

      Delete
  6. Yay! The green sofa was sold today. Congrats to the lucky owner. We all wanted it for ourselves. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Incidentally, I'm loving the new threaded comments now available on Blogger. Keeps everything so nice and tidy. I hope it encourages more reader participation.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful post about the henredon sofa & dinning furniture. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete