Flickr Widget

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Pssst...They're called squabs.

Squab cushions were originally used centuries ago to protect expensive hand-carved or caned seats, but over the years they have evolved into what we now refer to as the box cushion or chair pad and are used to provide padding or depth to a hard chair, ottoman or bench. These cushions are covered with fabric on both sides and are usually loose, although they may be partially attached and easily removed for cleaning or recovering. In the case of chairs with open frames, such as dining chairs, they may have ties along the back edge to secure them. Today they're also being made with Velcro fasteners, hooks or rubber bottoms to prevent slipping.

From ehow.com

Squab in a Saarinen Tulip Chair
1stdidbs.com
Squabs on both the Saarinen Womb Chair and matching ottoman
1stdibs.com
Squabs (box cushions) on a Scandinavian bench
bondandbowery.com
Squab on a Bertoia Diamond Chair
julesseltzer.com

6 comments:

  1. Very interesting and good to know. Before today, if someone would have ever told me to take a seat on their squab, I certainly wouldn't have pictured a chair cushion! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it - you're always teaching me something new! SQUAB, added to my MCM vocabulary. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Denise: haha I love it! Yes, I could see how that might warrant a slap (or at least a "Hmmmmf...I'm not that kind of girl") if you weren't familiar with the term.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Rhan: I don't know why I love finding these obscure, goofy terms. None of us will ever have an occasion to use any of them, but they sure are fun! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The 'squabs' on that Saarinen chair are upholstery perfection...drool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A solid pulse rate recovery has been proven to be the number one
    indicator of overall individual fitness. Here is where you improve your VO2 max, and thus rocket up your cardio respiratory system, as well as
    develop a higher threshold for lactate acid. Many people
    waste money every day buying the newest fitness products that
    are available.

    my web page ... heart rate monitor reviews

    ReplyDelete