Flickr Widget

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Oiva Toikka Long-tailed Duck

I keep an eye on eBay to buy smalls for the store. If it's a toss-up between buying an item for the store or buying for myself, I generally bow out and bid on behalf of the store. Yesterday I contacted my SIL about an Iittala Oiva Toikka bird I had found. He and my daughter were packing so they could get off with the boys on on a short vacation today, and he has a big buying trip for furniture planned for later in the week. I don't think his mind was really on buying smalls, so he declined.

I can't tell you how fast (or how gleefully) I jumped at the chance to get this spectacular Toikka piece for myself...or how happy I was when I won it. It's called the Long-tailed Duck, and it was designed in 1973. It's 4 1/4" high and 6 3/4" long, which is a very nice size. It normally sells for close to $200, but I got it for a great price! As far as I can tell, it's recently been discontinued, so it will only increase in value over time. Take a look at this delighfully shimmery creature.








If you haven't experienced an Oiva Toikka bird firsthand yet, I urge you to find a store that carries them and at least hold one and enjoy the quality of the workmanship, even if you're not interested in buying. Before I saw my first one, frankly I wondered what all the hubbub was about. I've never been particularly interested in small figurines, but Toikka's glass is breathtakingly beautiful, and he takes the stylized bird figure to a place I never imagined.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, so pretty! I'm so excited for you that you bought one. I know how much you love the Oiva Toikka birds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh congrats!!

    It's so much fun to get a deal on something you've been shopping for.

    I have my eye on all sorts of things all the time, that I will only get if I can get a bit of a deal on. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh that's pretty. I particularly like the swirly wing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, all...I'm so excited to finally own one of my own and can't wait for the package to arrive!

    ReplyDelete