Flickr Widget

Saturday, July 23, 2011

"I think best in wire." --Alexander Calder

At first I thought my Blogger account had gone all wonky on me. I was having an unprecedented number of page views Thursday...four times what I usually have on a good day. I noticed that most of them were on a post I wrote months ago about Alexander Calder and mobiles, which has always logged the most views of all my posts. Still, I was suspicious that it was a glitch, even though I had comments from several readers I'd never seen before.

When I got up yesterday morning, I looked at my stats, and the page views for the day had shot up to more than 16,000 overnight. That cinched it. I was ready to contact Blogger and tell them my account was fried...till I looked at Google. It turned out that Google was celebrating the 113th anniversary of Calder's birth on July 22, 1898, by having a mobile in the well-known "Google Doodle" spot. When I clicked to read more about the artist, I found that my post was on Google's first page. That explained it. By 7:00 p.m., when the counter rolled over, my hits for the day had reached 17,955. Crazy! I'm still shaking my head in disbelief. I never knew the Google Doodle had that kind of impact on web searches. (The Calder Doodle is gone, and today is back to normal, incidentally.)

But thank you, Google, for driving so much new traffic my way yesterday... and thank you, Alexander Calder.

Google Doodle, July 22, 2011
searchenginewatch.com
Calder in his Paris studio, 14 Rue de la Colonie, fall 1931. Photograph by Marc Vaux
calder.org
Sumac II, 1952
calder.org
The Y, 1960
calder.org
o2u1.com

7 comments:

  1. i noticed that it took me to ur page :)..i knew atleast five of my friends told me that the search about calder brought them to your blog..and all of them are not blog readers and careless about design etc..i like google's gesture in changing their logo to suit the occasion ...cool isnt it..creating awareness!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Sudha: It was surreal. I was sure it was some sort of tech problem till I made the Google connection. I usually get around 1000 hits a day, give or take a little, so that completely took me by surprise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the hits! I think I did a Calder post or two long ago, but the hit counter I installed a while back seemed to stop working or something. No biggie.

    I grew up loving mobiles, so Calder was someone I always admired. While I could never afford, nor would I want to invest in a real Calder, I have plans to make some of similar style. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. @1950sarh: The Curbly book on mid-century DIY projects has instructions for creating a really cool Calder-style mobile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. that's so cool! did you know that OCMA (orange county museum of art) has a calder exhibit going right now? i haven't seen it yet, but can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's such a rewarding feeling when serendipity brings loads of new fans to you. Hope a lot of them return.
    @Carey Brown Strombotne, I'm going to have to check that out ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Nick Klaus: I admit that it was a rush to get that many hits, but I knew it was a one-shot thing. What's even more rewarding is having readers like you who keep coming back and commenting.

    ReplyDelete