Flickr Widget

Sunday, April 17, 2011

In the store: McCoy for your pampered pet

From 1966-1968 McCoy manufactured Unipet bowls for the veterinary pharmaceutical division of the Upjohn Company. Upjohn used them to package pet vitamin supplements. After the vitamins were finished, the bowl could hold pet treats. The lid even had a small clapper so it could be used as a bell to call pets to come get the goodies. As far as I can tell, the bowls came in gold, green and orange.

A few days ago my SIL and I went to an estate sale and came away with five of these bowls...two golds, two greens and an orange. One of the green ones had a chipped lid, but the rest were in fine condition. I'm trying my hand at another chip repair, but this one will be more challenging, because I'll have to match paint this time, instead of using black.  Here are three of the bowls we brought home:




5 comments:

  1. Oh those are so adorable, and so unique! You are lucky to have five of them!! What a find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're beautiful! What a fun find. Love the dog cat designs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG. I want. One of these would look so perfect in my office for paperclips, etc. How big are they? I love how things used to be so reusable. . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Tanya: The bowl is roughly 5.5" (14 cm) at its widest point, with a 4" (10.2 cm) opening and 3" (7.6 cm) tall, without lid. With the lid, it is about 5.25" (13.3 cm) tall. Which color do you like?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't decide. I'm hoping you still have at least some of them when I come :)

    ReplyDelete