Flickr Widget

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

December 14...11 days till Christmas

My mother's birthday was on December 15, so we always celebrated by decorating the tree and then sitting around together drinking hot chocolate or hot apple cider.  It was absolutely unheard of in our family to put up a decoration of any kind before Mom's birthday, so it still seems odd to me to decorate early, even though I know our family tradition was the exception rather than the rule.

Mom always had a fresh green tree with traditional decorations that she had collected over the years, including ones that looked like some of these. As long as I can remember, we had the bells, pinecones, Santas and snowmen, as well as the balls with stripes.

I also remember walking barefoot across our ultra-stylish wall-to-wall carpet in the middle of summer and jamming a buried tree needle or a piece of broken ornament into my foot. Nothing quite says "Christmas in July" like that!


ELEVEN vintage glass ornaments
vintagechristmasdecorationsforsale.com

2 comments:

  1. These are so pretty! My daughter's birthday is December 19, and my husband's is the 22, so I completely understand about decorating. Last year, I refused to put up decorations for Christmas until after my daughter's party (at our house) but this year, she's been so excited about Christmas, we went ahead. Her Hello Kitty birthday party will just have to blend with ornaments and evergreens. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww, Hello Kitty was my daughter's favorite too, way back in the day. Luckily, she has a July birthday, so decorating wasn't a problem, but she's about to have her second son on December 28. I guess we'll have to learn to color coordinate our Christmas decorations with his birthday cakes...or take down decorations the minute we finish unwrapping the last Christmas present. :)

    ReplyDelete